Saturday, January 31, 2015

Social Media Help Is On The Way (Dear) !!

Using social media can be scary (and time consuming!) for some people. I know a few shops who choose only one platform and refuse to try any others. Please don't make this mistake! Your target market may use Instagram but not Pinterest, they may use Twitter but not StumbleUpon, or they may use Facebook but not Tumblr. Using only one avenue means that you may not be reaching out to all in your target market.

In today's blog, I will share my experiences with all the social media that I use. Grab a plate of cookies...I mean, rice cakes...a plate of rice cakes and something to drink. This may take a while.

INSTAGRAM
My absolute favorite platform is Instagram. This app is not only used for photo sharing but videos as well. While photos and videos may only be loaded from a smart phone, you can still access it on a computer. The keys to optimizing use of this app is great photos and the use of popular hashtags (#). Make sure that your photo space is clear of clutter, well lit, and that your product is in focus. You can search popular hashtags in the app itself by tapping on the magnifying glass and typing the first few letters of the item you wish to promote. Another great tool is iconosquare.com. Iconosquare provides your Instagram stats - day and time to post, best tags, less popular tags, etc. I check my iconosquare once or twice a week to see if my tags are still popular or if I need to change them up.

But add a bit of personality into your profile! Although I'm sure all your items are super gorgeous and you want to promote your finished product, share the creative process with your followers. Let them know what you are going to be making next, what supplies you love, and then post your finished product. This gives your followers an inside view of you as a shop owner and not just a salesperson. Maybe you're taking a break from sewing. Post a picture of your coffee cup next to your sewing machine. Show them you are also a normal person.

If you're just starting out, tap on the magnifying glass again to find people to follow that have the same interests. You can also search for others who have used the tags you use. Be sure to like and comment on profiles with similar interests as they may have the same target market audience as you. This gives those followers a chance to see you.

TWITTER
Twitter can be a little more tricky. Most of the time, it may feel like you are on a crate box shouting to passersby. The trick here is to find twitter parties or certain hours where an account shares links. I have found that #craftshout and #shoppershour on Facebook are the most successful parties that I have seen. The days and times vary so be sure to join the teams to find out the correct times. Another one of my favorites is #handmadehourusa on Twitter which is every Wednesday, 7-8pm EST. My views nearly triple each time I do this twitter hour. Make sure to follow @handmadehour and @hmnation for the latest updates.

Aside from parties, I try to find random times to send out a few tweets. Coffee break? Send a tweet. Baby sleeping? Send a few more. In the potty? Send as many as you can. Just like Instagram, hashtags are very important here as well. Make sure that your tags relate to your items but aren't too general that they'll get lost in the Twitter-verse abyss. Sometimes I will check the most popular tags being used by typing a few letters into the "tweet box." Like Instagram, make sure you follow others, communicate with them via tweets, and stay active.

PINTEREST
Ah the art of pinning. When I first began Pinterest, I was completely lost at how all of it worked. I never fully grasped the concept until I started using it for shop promotion. The key here is to create boards that not only reflect your shop but YOU as a person. For example, my boards consist of my jewelry, other people's hand made items, hair styles, food, make up, fun stuff to do with my daughter, etc. My boards are unrelated but there are some folks who keep boards that are strictly related to art, or jewelry, or home decor. It is completely up to you how many boards you choose and the overall appearance of them. Think of Pinterest as a huge platform where you put all your sticky reminder notes.

Now to find followers. Type a keyword relating to your items (or anything you are looking for) and pin them to your boards. I suggest finding other boards to pin to so you can share your work and possibly gain followers as well. Most of them go by invitation so make sure you check their descriptions up top. Most of the time, they'll have an email address to send your request to. Sometimes all you have to do is follow their board and they can add you.

FACEBOOK
And lastly, Facebook. A well-known blogger has advised that closing or not having a Facebook account is bad for business. While I personally feel Facebook is not for me due to all the restrictions they are enforcing, it still has its perks. The best advice I can offer is to join groups. Facebook groups allow promotion and provide help within their discussions. The groups are great for gaining Facebook likes or followers on Instagram and/or Twitter.

I'm hoping that your plate of cookies...er....I mean rice cakes...have lasted long enough to read this blog. Finish up that beverage and start your social media accounts!

Follow me at:
Instagram @julemijewelry
Twitter @julemijewelry
Pinterest.com/julietarampi
Facebook.com/julemijewelry
www.stumbleupon.com/stumbler/julemijewelry

No comments:

Post a Comment